What is ANZSCO?

ANZSCO is the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations. The occupations in ANZSCO have a 6 digit code and are grouped by occupation type:

  • Major Group 1 Managers
  • Major Group 2 Professionals
  • Major Group 3 Technicians and Trades Workers
  • Major Group 4 Community and Personal Service Workers
  • Major Group 5 Clerical and Administrative Workers
  • Major Group 6 Sales Workers
  • Major Group 7 Machinery Operators and Drivers
  • Major Group 8 Labourers

What is SkillSelect?

SkillSelect is an online expression of interest service for skilled workers and business people
who are interested in migrating to Australia. If you record your details in SkillSelect, Australian
employers or state and territory governments can nominate you for skilled visas, or you might be
invited by the Australian Government to apply for a visa.

The following visas must be applied for using SkillSelect:

  • Business Talent (Permanent) (subclass 132) visa
  • Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) (subclass 188) visa
  • Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa
  • Skilled – Nominated (subclass 190) visa
  • Skilled – Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa.

You can apply for the Temporary Work (Skilled) (subclass 482) visa, the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa and the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) visa using SkillSelect.

What kind of visas can GT Migration help us prepare and submit?

We process all major visa subclasses. These include the TSS visa, ENS/RSMS visas, Partner/Spouse, State Sponsored and Direct Entry GSM visas, Parent, Student, Sponsored Visitor and all Business and Investor Visas. We do not accept clients seeking Protection Visas as we regard this as a highly specialised area.

What is the benefit of using a registered migration agent (RMA)?

Registered migration agents are required by law to have the knowledge and skills to deal with migration matters and to abide by the Code of Conduct as well as being bound by Australian Law. Migrating and applying for a visa is a complex process, and in most cases requires experience and awareness of the nuances and pitfalls of many visa requirements. The RMA’s at GT Migration Australia are specialists in Migration Law, as well as the specific requirements of all the main Australian visa subclasses. An agent’s knowledge and expertise will save you time, money, stress and confusion.

Am I able to add my family members to my visa?

Yes, it is possible. For some visas, you can add your spouse and dependent children to your visa application before it is decided. For more complex family member issues, please call us to discuss to seek professional advice.

Am I able to apply for a visa while I am in Australia?

Yes, in most cases you can apply for a visa while you are in Australia holding a valid visa. However, this is not always the case as some visas do have restrictions that will prevent you from applying for another visa or a specific type of visa in Australia. Talk to one of our migration agents about your specific situation.

Am I able to work in Australia?

Most visa holders, except Visitor Visas holders in Australia as Tourists, are generally allowed to work in Australia. But, limitations and restrictions may apply to your visa. Check your visa conditions on grant letter or contact with us.

Am I able to study in Australia?

Most visas give the visa holder the right to study in Australia. However, limitations and restrictions may apply to the duration and type, of course, you can undertake. If you hold a temporary visa, you will be treated as an International Student for fee purposes.

Is it possible to become an Australian Citizen?

Yes, there are clear pathways for permanent visa holders to become Australian Citizens. Children born to an Australian Citizen or Permanent Residence can also claim citizenship.

Where I can get help relating to a Migration issue?

The best people to assist you with your migration queries are Registered Migration Agents. They have the knowledge, expertise and legal authority to give you migration assistance.

Does the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) help me in fill out visa application forms?

No, DOHA officers will not give any substantive assistance in filling in visa application forms. No should they give you migration advice?

Can I get advice from the Department of Home Affairs directly and/or from their website?

You can call or attend a Departmental Office or read their website to gain general information about visas. But, when in direct contact with the Department, be aware that they are not empowered to give advice beyond a certain point. Importantly, if you call the Department, you may get different answers to the same question depending on who you talk to. Furthermore, the information on the Department of Immigration’s website makes clear (see Disclaimer via the link below) that they take no responsibility for the information contained their website or its accuracy, completeness, or suitability for your specific situation: www.homeaffairs.gov.au

What does a visa let me do in Australia?

A visa allows you to lawfully enter Australia and either singularly or in a combined way, let you work, study, travel, undertake business or even migrate permanently to Australia. Some visa also allows you to exit and re-enter Australia for the life of the visa. Some visas are single entry only.

Is it possible to apply for more than one visa at a time?

Yes, it is possible but because this is a complex issue we advise you seek migration assistance before pursuing making multiple visa applications.

Is it possible to hold more than one visa at a time?

No, you cannot hold more than one visa at a time. When a new visa comes into effect the previous one will cease.

Do I need to submit original documents?

Generally, unless specifically requested to do so, certified copies are acceptable. For verification purposes or if there is doubt as to the authenticity of a document, the Department may request you provide originals of all documents. Register Migration Agents are able to certify documents for migration purposes and some can also witness statutory declarations.

What is a Bridging Visa?

Generally, a bridging visa is a temporary visa that will allow you to remain in Australia lawfully while your substantive visa application or visa appeal is decided. Some Bridging visas also allow you to exit and re-enter Australia and have work rights. Others do not allow either.

Is it possible to appeal a visa refusal decision or cancellation? Do you help?

In most cases, it is possible to review a DOHA decision to refuse a visa or to cancel a visa in Australia and under some circumstances, applications made outside of Australia. And, yes, we work extensively with appeals where a visa has been refused or cancelled as this is an area of Migration Law in which we specialize.

Does GT Migration guarantee success?

We cannot guarantee the success of a visa application but we will honestly give you our professional opinion on the realistic chance of success of your application before we start working for you. We will also only proceed with an application if we think it is viable and you meet all of the criteria unless you specifically instruct us to proceed.

How can I use GT Migration Australia’s services if I am not in Australia?

We work for many clients who are offshore. We can communicate with you through email, Skype, Video Conference or direct telephone calls.

Do I need to translate documents that are not in English?

Yes, English translations for essential documents are required, even where they are submitted to an Australian Embassy or consular mission in your own country.

What sort of translation is acceptable for Australian immigration purposes?

Where possible (and it often isn’t) we recommend you use a NAATI registered translator. If you are in Australia your translations should be done by a NAATI registered translator. However, outside of Australia any document that is officially translated or notarized can be accepted, so long as it bears the name of the translator and other key information.

What have certified documents?

A certified copy is one that has been verified to be a true copy by a witness after they have sighted the original. The person certifying the photocopy must sight the original document and include the following details on all pages that contain information:

  • stamp or write, ‘This is a true copy of the document sighted by me’
  • sign, date and provide contact details (name, address and telephone number)
  • The official stamp or seal of their organisation or their profession and organisation name.

How I can certify my documents?

If you are in Australia, we will certify your original documents or you can have them certified by such people as Pharmacists, Post Office Managers, Registered Nurses, Court Officers, JP’s, Policemen, Accountants or a Lawyer. The Department’s website contains a full list of authorized persons. If offshore, you will need to get documents certified/notarized in accordance with the laws of that country.

What is a permanent Visa?

A permanent visa is a type of visa that allows you to remain in Australia forever. Subject to certain conditions and an expiry date for its travel component (your ability to exit and re-enter Australia) remains in effect for 5 years and can be renewed. However, it’s very important to ensure that if you are outside of Australia, you apply to renew your Permanent Visa ‘travel component’ before it expires. If you fail to do so, you won’t be able to re-enter Australia using your Permanent Visa.

Can I lose a Permanent Visa?

Yes. Most permanent visas require the holder to have been in Australia for a specified time or meet other residency or compliance conditions. Additionally, under the provisions of Public Interest Criteria 4020, a visa obtained by fraud or use of fraudulent, false or misleading information can be cancelled. If you’re concerned about any of these aspects of your permanent visa, call GT Migration Australia to discuss your concerns.

Who is an eligible sponsor for a Partner or Parent Visas?

Only Australian Citizens, Permanent Residence visa holders and Eligible New Zealand Citizens may sponsor their partners/spouses or parents. If you are holding a temporary visa, such as a student or 482 visas, you are not an eligible sponsor for these visas.

Do I need to sit for an English Language test?

This will depend on the visa you are applying for and if you are a Primary or Secondary adult applicant. Generally, if you are not a passport holder of the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or Ireland and you are seeking a Student, Working or Skilled Visa, then you will need to sit an English test to demonstrate your language skills and also for points n respect of the GSM Points Test. If you are a de-facto partner or spouse of a Primary Applicant for a permanent skilled visa, and you don’t have the required exemption or English language test result, you will be charged an additional visa application fee of close to $5000.00 by the Department of Immigration.

What is a “no further stay” condition?

These are rules that effectively prevents you from applying for another visa while you are in Australia. These conditions are 8503 and 8531. Under some circumstances, you can have these conditions waived and the restriction removed. If you would like to know more, please contact us.

I don’t have a visa label in my passport, how I can check my visa?

You can check your visa status on VEVO (via the DIBP website) or you are welcome to come to our office and we will check for you and provide a printed copy of your visa status free of charge.